Estimated Arrival: Between Jan 28 and Jan 30. *ETA to the USA Only
Shipping & Returns: Free Shipping. All The Time.
The BioPod Plus is a convenient way to recycle your kitchen scraps and restaurant leftovers into valuable feed - an excellent choice for your fish, chickens, bullfrogs and backyard songbird feeders. Utilizing the larvae stage of the native Black Soldier Fly, these devices are an efficient way of bio-converting your food scraps into living biomass, without the time consuming task of separating the grubs from the active pile. Mature grubs auto-separate from the active pile via crawl off ramps and collect in the handled harvest bucket. Advanced drainage system helps maintain aerobic conditions by separating liquid effluent from pod contents. Liquids are easily dispensed from external fittings.
FEATURES & BENEFITS
- Pair of angled, 40˚ migration ramps allow for natural migration of grubs. Inner edge of almost 2" wide ramps possess a raised lip to guide grubs and optimize auto crawl off. Dual ramps lead to harvest slit at top which overhangs the entry chute of the harvest bucket.
- Covered harvest bucket auto-collects grubs for simple, no-hassle separation, while fitting snuggly into pod body. Bucket features: a drip channel that diverts condensation and precipitation away from the contents, a carrying handle to remove unit from body while providing a means of gripping, an air port slot to keep grubs from suffocating, and a top entry chute where the grubs fall through via gravity.
- Hinged main lid lid is easy to open using front handle
- Inner convenience lid easily pivots, allowing for quick one handed dumping of food scraps, while shielding top ventilation gap created by built-in bump - critical for aeration, female access and egg laying
- Heavy duty, weather-resistant, rotomolded construction insures long life span and protection of colony from the elements
- Improved ventilation: Fresh air enters through bucket slit, passively flowing through entry chute in bucket, which leads to the harvest slot in body and exits at convenience lid gap - continually maintaining aerobic conditions
- Compact design is ideal for shade gardens and patios - compatible with rural, suburban and urban settings
- Advanced drainage of liquids effluent occurs through perforated drainage plate and flexible mesh drainage pad, allowing liquids to flow passively into collection area. Multi-layer drainage system physically separates active colony from liquid catchment area, allowing liquid to pass through mesh, 0.5 cm holes and exit the rear drainage port.
- Faux stone appearance blends in naturally with garden landscaping
26 1/2" long x 15 1/2" wide x 16" Tall
9" diameter of circular top ventilation portal
Drainage Plate: 27 cm long x 44 cm wide x 0.6 cm thick
Digestion Capacity: maximum of 5 lbs (2.2 kg) per day
Food scraps (including meat / fat / dairy) from 4-6 adults
15-20% Bioconversion of food waste into mature grubs
5% bioconversion of scraps into undigested residue + frass
Main Body Volume: 10 gallons / 38 liters
Harvest Bucket Volume: 2 gallons / 7.5 liters
4 kg or 8.8 lbs empty
Pod: Roto-molded, UV-stabilized, medium density polyethylene resin
Perforated Drainage Plate - polypropylene resin
Drainage Connector - nylon
Mesh Drainage Pad - natural coir (coconut husk fiber)
Metal Hardware - stainless steel
Topper: un-dyed burlap fabric
QUANTITY / PARTS
1 main body, 1 harvest bucket,
1 rectangular outer lid, 1 inner circular convenience lid
perforated drainage plate, mesh drainage pad *, drainage kit, burlap
* pad can be poly or natural materials depending on availability
Light taupe (weathered grayish-brown-stone)
Time Required: approx. less than 15 minutes (single person)
Tools Needed: screwdriver, socket wrench
or small, standard wrench to install drainage connector **
** The 3/4" drainage part that connects to the main body can be difficult to attach on the new, thinker pods. To improve installation, you may slightly increase the diameter of the hole with a 3/4" drill bit.
Food scrap recycling / bioconversion at the residential level
Raising native soldier grubs
Digestion of solid pet waste
Turn-key unit includes all parts
Dual migration ramps for auto-harvesting into collection bucket
Drainage plate allows liquids to passively seem into liquid catchment area
Top grub barrier lid minimizes escapees
Roto-molded in the USA
Manufactured in North Carolina by Tar River Trading Post, LLC
Developed and designed in Texas by Prota Culture, LLC
The parts from each pod are hand cut, so there are subtle variations from unit to unit. Do to the nature of the source resin and its pathway through the fabrication process, minor blemishes, nicks and colorized contaminants are present throughout the molded parts. These will not affect functionality.
5 year on parts and manufacturing defects *** but designed to last a decade or more.
*** mesh pad (poly or coir) lasts approximately 1 year and will need to be replaced annually